Companies or individuals rearing aquatic animals (vertebrates or invertebrates) for commercial gain may all be insured including those holding live or raising:
- Edible and ornamental fish
- Bivalve molluscs such as mussels, scallops and oysters
- Gastropod molluscs such as abalone
- Echinoderms such as sea cucumbers and sea urchins
- Crustaceans such as shrimp, crayfish and lobsters
- Higher vertebrates such as frogs, turtles and crocodiles
The geographical scope of the GAIC facility is worldwide although there are a limited number of territories in which the Underwriters are not licensed to transact insurance business.
Although it may be beneficial for fish and shellfish farmers to make direct contact with the GAIC Underwriters in order to establish terms and conditions, the GAIC facility is intended to deal with professional insurance entities and so farmers will be encouraged to refer business via their insurance intermediary.